Conservatives of all ages tend to be very short-sighted and ineffective when it comes to political warfare. They put all their energy into electoral and legislative battles but largely ignore the crucial Culture War that CampusReform.org fights daily.
When things get bad politically, conservatives volunteer and work for campaigns, for political parties, and for already elected officials. And when they win an election or legislative battle, they rejoice and go back to their normal lives…until the other side starts winning the elections and policy battles again.
But a battle here or there in itself is meaningless. Who is winning the war? The left is.
Why? Because despite the Reagan Revolution and the consequent short-lived ascendance of the Republican Party, the overall trend in public policy has been toward more government control of the economy and more government-pushed erosion of traditional moral values.
How did this happen? Conservatives have allowed the left to largely dominate the key cultural institutions that shape and determine political outcomes: schools, arts & entertainment industry, churches, and the media.
Create a leftist electorate and leftists will get elected. Simple as that.
While conservatives thought they were turning the tide in the 80s, 90s, and first half of the 00s, leftists had a better long-term strategy, steadily increasing their control over American culture, especially youth culture. All of a sudden, young people helped Barack Obama get elected, not just with their votes but also with the favorable image and winning psychology they provided him.
But which cultural institutions should be a priority for conservatives? The leftist monopoly on the media has been broken. FOX News, talk radio, and the internet have seen to that. Conservatives still do better than leftists among the church-going crowd because of the pro-life and pro-marriage factions of the conservative movement that Reagan and George W. Bush brought on board. But the left has made some gains over time, deceiving many Christians into believing that government can be compassionate and charitable.
But neither the churches nor the media has as great an influence on young Americans as do our schools and the arts & entertainment industry. Teachers unions, liberal professors, Hollywood airheads, musical blowhards, and misguided entertainers promote Big Government and immoral lifestyles among the young.
We shouldn’t have to wait and hope for sincerely misguided young liberals to grow up to become conservatives. If we take these institutions seriously and meet the challenge of reclaiming them, there will be more cradle-to-grave conservatives and more effective, intense conservative activists generation after generation.
Why are young people crucial to long-term political success?
- It will take generations to undo what the left has inflicted on us over several generations.
- They are future candidates, campaign staffers, campaign donors, activists, teachers, professors, artists, actors, musicians, priests, pastors, pundits, and journalists.
- They can recruit and persuade their peers to join and be active in the conservative movement.
- The young today become the electorate that decides tomorrow’s elections.
- They will have children who eventually join the Culture War and the electorate that decides future elections.
Therefore, the most important policy endeavors conservatives can undertake lie in the realm of education, at both the primary and college level.
The left has understood this and is patient, fighting the daily battles always with the long-term cultural objective in mind. If conservatives want their principles to win, they will follow suit, giving priority of time and resources to supporting student activists!
Here’s what you can do to join the ranks in the broader war for the hearts and minds of American youth:
- Support the mission of CampusReform.org by getting active in or creating a conservative student group on your campus!
- Support CampusReform.org financially! Help fund political training for young conservatives!
- Tell all your like-minded friends about CampusReform.org! Spread the word about the crucial importance of youth politics!
- Make school choice for parents a top legislative priority in your state!